Wednesday 9 September 2020

Introduction to a Stand-up comedian

 Namaste Everyone ! Sorry for the delay in posting on my blog. This pandemic has been difficult to handle being away from home. 

Okay jumping straight in ! I grew up in Mangalore, India. It's a coastal town on the west coast of India that has lots of coconut trees and wonderful seafood. The region is particularly diverse, being a traditional trading route with the Arabs through the Arabian Sea. English is an official language in India and perhaps the most common one along with English. However I speak 3 other distinct languages, all of which are essential for life in my region ( Hindi, Kannada and Tulu).

With that background in mind, I grew up studying about cultures from all over the world. America fascinated me because it serves as the cradle of globalization. You get the taste of almost every corner of the world here. After high school in India, I decided to move here for College. Stand-up comedy always fascinated me and I had already given it a try in India. It helped me get over my insecurities and become more confident. 

This course intrigues me because it highlights an important part of my childhood. My moral compass is built on the Ramayana and the Mahabharata. My grandma read me a story from them, every night before going to bed. It was almost never about god or a religion. Maybe that's why I grew up to be agnostic. However the depth in the stories made me realize what dharma is. Right or Wrong is subjective to the situation. It developed critical thinking within me during tough situations

I am looking forward to listen to the perspectives of my fellow classmates on certain stories. The Mahabharata is the longest poem ever written. So, if any of you have trouble understanding parts of it, you are not alone :)



Ramayana Lanka meme

2 Comments:

At 10 September 2020 at 17:09 , Blogger Laura Gibbs said...

I will just start by saying I am so jealous of your languages, Siddharth! I studied Sanskrit in college, and when I retire (which will be soon! I'm old, ha ha), I really want to learn Hindi and Urdu... and learning a language of south India would be amazing also; I see lots of Kannada and Telugu and Malayalam and other videos at YouTube and think to myself, "Oh, I wish I could understand even a little bit of what they are saying!" And yay also for the spirit of comedy... and also improv theater! Improv theater is actually something that really inspires me as a teacher; if someone asks what my philosophy of teaching is, I tell them my philosophy of teaching is "YES... and..." -- just like the spirit of improv. And I absolutely love this Ramayana meme (that squirrel is actually one of my favorite Ramayana legends). I hope that this class can be a chance for you to develop comedy material and memes and stories that you can use, and which the rest of the class can enjoy with you too. Epics need epic memes: and lots of them, epic memes on an epic scale! Now I'm imagining a Mahabharata told all with memes... :-)

 
At 30 November 2020 at 00:00 , Blogger Riley said...

Hi Siddharth!

It's so awesome that you grew up in India. That sounds so cool. It's also really cool that you're into stand up comedy and that you've tried being a stand up comedian. That takes some real guts! I hope you have been doing okay during these hard times.

It was great to meet you! Have a great day!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home